Guidance and Support
We aim to support coaches in any way we can. We hope these pages will provide you with lots of useful information, links and resources to help ensure coaches have the right skills and training to deliver high quality activity.
Also included is information around employing/using coaches and what minimum standards Sport Coach UK recommend you ask for.
Sports Coach UK aim to ensure 'Excellent Coaching Every Time for Everyone' in order to do this some minimum standards have been drawn up, with partners, which coaches and organisations are recommended to follow.
- Minimum Standards for Active Coaches - Core Guidance for Coaches.
- Minimum Standards for Active Coaches – Core Guidance for Organisations.
- Interactive tool to identify the minimum qualification required (as stated by the relevant governing body of sport) for a lead coach coaching children and young people in the following environments: Primary School, Secondary School, Club and Community/local authority.
Take a look
As an active coach, it is important for you to meet the core standards.
Here are just a few reasons why:
- to ensure you have the right level of qualification, knowledge and skills for your coaching role
- to safeguard you and the participants you coach
- to ensure you have the right level of insurance
- to improve the coaching opportunities you can access.
Club Matters is a one-stop-shop for sports clubs and groups. It offers free, simple support to all clubs and groups including several interactive tools to help you understand where your club or group could improve. To access the full resources as well as the mentoring scheme and workshops, register today.
Derbyshire Sport provides an overview of what Club Matters has to offer along with more specific support to Derbyshire-based clubs and groups in the areas of finances, management, people, marketing and mentoring and workshops.
You can find out more by viewing the Club Matters section of the website.
Here are some links to external sites which may be useful. Please click on the link to access further information.
BBC Sport Academy is an online resource with information and videos on various sports including input from top athletes.
Brian Mac Sports Coach provides information on the many topics related to developing physical and mental condition.
TeachPE is a free online resource for sports coaching and physical education. Includes sections on A-level and GCSE syllabuses as well as sport specific coaching, strength training, and more.
Special Olympics Coaching Guides provides free coaching guides, rules, quick start guides and more for the 30+ sports that are in the Special Olympics. Includes an overview and information about training specifically focused on people with intellectual disabilities.
Coaching Children Videos - sports coach UK has produced a series of videos about Coaching Children that are available on their YouTube channel sports coach UK TV.
These clips look at the craft of coaching from a children's coach perspective and are designed with coaches, parents, clubs, governing body staff, and sport development professionals in mind.